Header Ads

Header ADS

Predicative use of Present Participles

** Predicative use of Present Participles:
   Or, Participles in the predicate:
1. The story is interesting.

In this sentence Present Participle ‘interesting’ is in
the Predicate but modifies the Subject ‘story’.  

2. The play is exciting.
In this sentence Present Participle ‘exciting’ is in
the Predicate but modifies the Subject ‘play’. 

3. The girl went away laughing.
In this sentence Present Participle ‘laughing’ is in
the Predicate but modifies the Subject ‘girl’. 

4. Looking out of the window, I saw my friend.
Or, I saw my friend looking out of the window.
In this sentence Present Participle ‘looking’ is in
the Predicate but modifies the Subject ‘I’. 


** Now try to find out the present participle and say which word
    it modifies in the sentence. First two are done.

5. Thinking that he was the last one to go to bed, Shaheen
   turned out the light.
Or, Shaheen turned out the light thinking that he was the last
   one to go to bed.
   Present Participle: Thinking.
   And it modifies the subject ‘Shaheen’. 

6. Finishing my supper, I went to bed.
Or, I went to bed finishing my supper.
Present Participle: Finishing. And it modifies the subject ‘I’. 


 ** Remember if the sentence beginning with the phrase 
including Present participle, a comma will be pushed 
after the phrase.
But in the reverse case comma isn’t necessary. As below:
1. Looking out of the window, I saw my friend.
Or, I saw my friend looking out of the window.

2. Finishing my supper, I went to bed.
Or, I went to bed finishing my supper.

 


 7. Hearing the noise, I woke up.
Or,I woke up hearing the noise.

8. The sky being clear, we went out for a walk.
Or,We went out for a walk the sky being clear.

9. She came to me laughing.

10. I didn’t see him stealing the brief case.

11. Singing very softly, he entered into the washroom.              
Or, He entered into the washroom singing very softly.

12. Running very fast, he caught the thief red handed.
Or, He caught the thief red handed running very fast,.

13. Going there, I found him.  Or, I found him going there.

14. Saying this, he went out.  Or, He went out saying this.
15. The scenery looks very charming.
16. The story is interesting.
17. The play is exciting.
18. The girl went away laughing.
19. Entering into the room, he started reading.
  Or, He started reading entering into the room.

20. Taking a bath, he had his breakfast.
21. Having his breakfast, he went to school.
22. Preparing my lesson, I went to watch TV.
23. Switching on the light, he started preparing his lesson.
24. Opening the door, he entered into the room.

25. Entering into the room, I switched on the light.     

No comments

Powered by Blogger.