Header Ads

Header ADS

Past Participle

B) Past Participle
1. This is a broken chair.
Past participle: broken. It modifies the noun ‘chair’.

2. She found the lost pen.
Past participle: lost. It modifies the noun ‘pen’.

3. Don’t drink the polluted water.
Past participle: polluted. It modifies the noun ‘water’

Thus you can find out the past participle in the following
sentences and tell which noun or pronoun it modifies..
4. His father is a retired person.
5. He has eaten rice.
6. I had gone there.
7. It is done.
8. The house was built.
9. That man is a learned person.
10. This is a damaged car.
11. America is a developed country.
12. Ethiopia is an undeveloped country
13. The water of this glass is boiled.
14. The people of London are learned.
15. The air of this room is polluted.
16. I like the poem written by Nazrul.
17. We saw a few trees laden with mangoes.
18. The arrested man has been released.
19. Driven by hunger, the poor man has stolen a piece of bread.   
20. The broken bottles were lying in the street.
21. He is a retired govt. officer.
22. He bought some rotten fish.
23. The wounded man was sent to the hospital.
24. Driven by greed, he committed a crime.

Note: past participle is used as the plural noun with
‘the’ a article before it. As the following
sentences:
25. We should respect the learned.
26. I like to help the distressed
27. The corrupted are hated by all.
28. We should help the oppressed.

** Past Participle is used to form Perfect tense:
The teacher has entered into the classroom.
When I had finished my work, I went home.
He has finished his work.
They have played well.

** Past Participle is used to form passive voice:
The letter was written.
My camera has been stolen.
A meeting was arranged.
My work is finished.
He was seen running.

**Past Participle is used to form phrases:
1. The soldier wounded in the battle has an artificial leg.
Phrase ‘The soldier wounded in the battle’
Complete Subject: ‘The soldier wounded in the battle’  
Finite Verb: ‘has’
Object:  ‘an artificial leg’

2. The book written a long time ago has not been published yet.
 Past Participle: written, it modifies the noun: ‘The book’.
Complete Subject: ‘The book written a long time ago’
Negative verb: ‘hasn’t been published’
Adverb of time: yet.
 
**To be done something by others:
1. I had the letter written by him.
2. She had her blood tested by the pathologist.
3. I had my eyes tested and the doctor gave me the glasses to wear.

4. I had my hair cut in a men’s Parlier. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.